We are currently only doing essential emergency repairs. All other repairs will be scheduled at a later date, unless this has health & safety implications. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please call us on 01344 382 800 to book an emergency appointment if you have:
- No heating or hot water
- A blocked toilet (if it is the only toilet in your home)
- An uncontainable leak (including roofing or serious gutter leaks)
- A broken shower, including wet rooms (if this is the only washing facility in your home)
- Full power failure
- An insecure property (such as smashed windows or a broken front door lock)
We are also carrying out essential ‘compliance works’:
- Gas servicing (CP12) on boilers.
- Electrical emergency light safety tests in communal areas.
- Electrical safety condition reports (EICRs) in homes and remedial work where necessary.
- Fire risk assessments and remedial work where necessary.
- Fire alarm and automatic opening vent testing.
- Legionella testing and water flushing.
- Monthly lift servicing (including stairlifts and hoists) and lift breakdown attendance.
- Asbestos surveys in communal areas.
Please don't flush anything other than toilet paper down your toilet, this is a chargeable repair and we do not have the capacity to unblock it. If you have no toilet paper and are using another material, try putting it in the bin instead.
If any members of your household are self-isolating, unfortunately, we are unable to enter your home to carry out any repairs.
We respond to repair requests in order of priority, to ensure that customers whose health and safety could be at risk are well protected.
We categorise repairs into two groups:
- Emergency repairs
- Routine repairs
We also consider whether there are vulnerable people in your home when deciding what to prioritise. Vulnerability is defined as: "An individual or household needing support to enable them to live independently, or a tenant or a member of their household who is vulnerable due to age or serious long-term illness."
We aim to respond to emergency repair requests within 24 hours, or sooner if it affects health and safety. To book an emergency repair, please call freephone 0800 692 3000 or 01344 382800.
Please be aware that we will only visit your property straight away if health and safety is judged to be severely and immediately at risk, or if serious damage is taking place to the property. If you provide any incorrect information or if it is not an emergency issue, we may charge you later for the cost of the work.
Sometimes, we will implement a temporary fix to stop the problem from becoming dangerous and will return at a later date to put a permanent solution in place. This second appointment will be booked for a time that's convenient for both of us.
If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately: 0800 111 999
What constitutes an emergency repair?
- Major structural damage
- A water leak that cannot be contained
- A total loss of electricity
- A loss of water supply, fire and flood damage
- A complete loss of heating and/or hot water in the winter season (1 November to 31 March) including secondary heating sources. Vulnerable customers will receive priority during peak times, which may include the provision of temporary heating
- Serious blockages to foul water drains (or blocked toilet if it is the only one)
- Loose or detached handrails, banisters or similar items
- Insecure external doors or windows
- Offensive or discriminatory graffiti
We share the responsibility for home maintenance with our customers. We are responsible for maintaining and repairing the core infrastructure of your home, as well as the exteriors and communal areas of our properties, and you are responsible for looking after the interior.
We will only charge you for repairs that you are responsible for.
- The outside of the property
- Electrical wiring
- Communal areas
- Fixtures and fittings
- Internal decor e.g. internal doors, handles and hinges
- Damage beyond the usual wear and tear
- Pest control
- Damage caused by neglect, deliberate or reckless behaviour
- Shower heads and hoses, toilet seats, work surfaces
How to book a repair
You can book a non-emergency repair by:
- using My Silva
- calling us on 01344 382 800
- sending us a Facebook message
- sending us a live chat message
You can book a repairs appointment for the following slots:
- Morning: 8am to 12noon
- Afternoon: 12noon to 4pm
In exceptional circumstances, you might be able to book it at another time.
When you book us for a non-emergency rechargeable repair, payment is due before the work can be carried out.
In the case of essential/emergency repairs, we may not expect you to make the full upfront payment, but we may instead request an advance contribution, with a written agreement to pay the balance by a certain date.
We always try to provide a breakdown of any repair costs in advance. However, if this is not possible, you will receive a full breakdown of costs, along with payment instructions, within 10 working days of the work being completed.
What you need to know about repairs charges
We'll only charge you for repairs that you are responsible for. Below is a guide to give you an idea of what you will pay for different types of repairs. These prices may change after our team has surveyed the issue and calculated an accurate quote.
We carry out repairs jobs in your homes, many of which are included in your rent, while others for which you are responsible for, we will charge fees for. This list is for example and subject to review, for more information please contact us. Prices may vary and may be subject to site surveys for accurate quotes.
|Type of repair||Minimum payment to book work||Full rate charge||Out of hours rate|
|Gain entry for customer accidentally locked out||£40||£40||£65|
|Replacement lock (without forced entry)||£20||£56||£81|
|Replacement lock (with forced entry)||£20||£77||£102|
|Garage lock (without forced entry)||£40||£45||£70|
|Garage lock (with forced entry)||£60||£65||£90|
|Board up window||£20||£43||£68|
|Re-glaze broken double glazed unit (per pane)||£40||£75||Day work only|
|Re-glaze broken single glazed unit (per pane)||£20||£40||Day work only|
|Replace cracked toilet bowl, cistern or wash handbasin||£25||£75||Day work only|
|Reset tripped electrics caused by customer’s appliances||£40||£40||£65|
|Reset of central heating/re-igniting pilot light if credit runs out||£40||£40||£65|
|Replace light fittings, switches, sockets||£48||£48||N/A|
|Any blockages to plumbing items (sinks, baths, toilets, drains)||£40||£40||£65|
|Replace internal door||£25||£125||N/A|
|Plastering - minor patch repairs||£50||£50||N/A|
|Plastering - major (full room or multiple)||£50||£200||N/A|
Additional charges may apply if attendance is outside office hours, which are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
How to avoid repairs charges
Report repairs as problems arise and keep your home in a good state of repair
Know your responsibilities
Seek written permission from Silva Homes before making alterations
Clean and clear your property before moving or ending your tenancy
“I would like to say a few words of thanks for the wonderful repair service that you provide with my Silva Homes tenancy. I can book a repair that’s done quickly and efficiently and the team that comes out is lovely and cheerful and always offer to remove shoes etc. and they finish the work to a high standard and care.”
Have you had a repair recently?