Contents insurance and home safety tips

Contents insurance &
home safety tips

Find out how to get content insurance
and how to keep your home safe.

Contents insurance

What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

Silva has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Allianz Insurance plc who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The 'My Home Contents Insurance Scheme' can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.


Do I need contents insurance?

If you are a tenant who rents, then we may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

How can I get more information?

•  Ask your local housing officer for an application pack.

•  Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288

Visit for more information or to request a callback.

Insurance claims 

If you are a leaseholder and need to claim on the buildings insurance, please call Protector Insurance on 0345 266 9660, quoting policy number 788964/1.1

Home safety tips

Fire safety

We carry out regular fire safety checks of our homes. Please test your smoke detectors regularly to ensure they are in good working order.

To provide expert advice and reduce the risk of fire in your home we work in close partnership with the:

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) and the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS)

Gas safety

Every 12 months, we carry out safety checks on all the gas boilers and gas fittings that we supply to our customers’ homes. This service is offered to our leaseholders on request (charges may apply).

If you smell gas, please contact the National Gas Emergency Service immediately, by calling 0800 408 5500 or click here to visit

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels (including gas, oil, wood, petrol and coal). 

Learn more about carbon monoxide.

Condensation and mould

Condensation can affect all homes, old or new, and can become more noticeable in the autumn and winter. Everyday activities, including cooking, washing, bathing and even breathing, can release moisture into the air.

Read our condensation, damp and mould leaflet

Read more about treating condensation, damp and mould.

Water safety and legionella

As a responsible landlord, we carry out risk assessments, repairs and checks of water systems at our sheltered schemes and in communal water storage tanks. This is done by a specialist to ensure good water safety.

To further reduce your risk of contracting any water-related diseases, such as legionella, please follow these steps:

  • Make sure taps are in regular use (at least weekly) – if you’ve been away on holiday or are taking up a new tenancy, run all taps at a gentle flow rate for two minutes (we appreciate you may be on a water meter but this is an important safety measure which we recommend)
  • Keep showerheads or any other fitting in a clean condition and keep limescale to a minimum
  • Hot water temperatures should be set between 55°C and 60°C where possible. At 55°C any Legionella bacteria in the water is killed off. Hot water over 60°C can lead to a risk of scalding so take care when using hot water. If you think your water heater is not working properly then please contact us.

Energy bills

To help you reduce your bills and save energy, we have teamed up with Citrus Energy to offer a service that makes switching your current utilities providers an easy and straightforward process.

Find out how you can switch your energy provider.

Severe weather

For weather alerts and forecasts, visit the Met office here

You can contact your housing officer or report any questions or concerns by calling our freephone on 0800 692 3000. 

Or email

Child-related accidents

Most accidental injuries to children can be avoided through increased awareness, improvements in the home environment and greater product safety.

Read more about how to prevent accidents from happening to children.


Unless you know who you are talking to, never give your four-digit credit or debit card PIN number, online banking codes, passwords or personal details to anyone, including the bank or police. Our staff will always show you their ID and you can contact us to verify any colleagues or approved contractors.

Home alterations

Please don't make any alterations to your home without speaking to us first.

Click here to read about our alterations policy and fill out an agreement form.

Utility cupboards

To access your communal utility cupboard (for telephone or TV connections), please contact our estate services team 48 hours before your contractor's appointment.

TV aerials

We maintain and repair communal TV aerials for our rented flats and sheltered schemes, but you are responsible for looking after the parts, connections and sockets within your home. If you live in a house or independent dwelling, your TV aerial is your responsibility.

Read about our repairs policy.

  1. Access to utility cupboards

  2. Asbestos safety

    Asbestos was a very commonly used building material from the 1950s up to the 1990s when it was banned in the UK. If undisturbed, asbestos causes no harm or problem. Please click to read about how we manage asbestos.

  3. Avoid scams - please be aware of scammers and follow our tips

    Recently we’ve noticed an increase in reported cases of scams. Please read more for our tips to avoid scammers.

  4. Carbon Monoxide

    Find out about Carbon Monoxide safety by clicking the title.

  5. Changing a cooker

    When thinking about changing a cooker please consider the advice here.

  6. Condensation

    Condensation can be a problem in any home, old or new, and can become more noticeable in the autumn and winter. Everyday things like cooking, washing, bathing and even breathing cause moisture, which is released into the air. The information and film here will explain how condensation forms and how you can keep it to a minimum, therefore reducing the risk of dampness and mould growth in your home.

  7. Energy saving tips

    Save energy and money with these useful tips.

  8. Fire safety

    Taking the risk of fire seriously is very important to protect residents and communities.

    Silva Homes works in close partnership with the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) to give advice about fire prevention and fire safety.

  9. Gas safety and if you smell gas

    Every 12 months Silva Homes carries out safety checks of gas boilers and gas fittings that we supply in tenants' homes. We can also do this for leaseholders (charges may apply). Find out more about gas safety.

  10. Home safety and accidents involving children

    The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) warns that accidental injuries are a major health problem throughout the United Kingdom. Sadly, they are one of the most common causes of death in children over one year of age, and each year they leave many thousands permanently disabled or disfigured. Read more for ROSPA's advice and guidance to stay safe.

  11. Save money on your energy bills and change tariffs

    Get the best energy tariff, reduce your bills and save energy using social housing energy specialists Citrus Switch service.

  12. Severe weather information

    Tips for winter and severe weather

  13. Smoke detectors

    Test your detectors regularly to make sure they are in good working order.

  14. TV aerials

    Our Customer Experience Centre regularly gets asked about TV aerials, so here’s a few tips that answer some of the common queries and what to do if your TV signal stops.

How would you rate this page?

How would you rate this page?