Frequently asked questions
We have answered some frequently asked questions here. If you would like a question and answer to be added please email by clicking here or call our freephone 0800 692 3000.
Frequently asked questions
Where is Western Peninsula office and what are the opening hours?
Western Peninsula office opening hours are Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm. During bank holidays you can reach our out of office service by calling 01344 382800. Western Peninsula is closed on bank holidays.
Please click here for a map (external link)
The address is:
Does a bus service run from Bracknell Town Centre to Western Peninsula? Reading buses number X4 goes from Bracknell bus station in Bracknell Town Centre to Western Road (where Western Peninsula office is located) (bound for Reading). Please click here for a bus journey planner.
When are the rent free weeks?
Rent paid weeks are the first week of April and Christmas week. This is an opportunity to catch up on overdue rent. If you would like to discuss rent or would like benefits advice, please email by clicking here or call 01344 382800.
Should I contact Silva Homes or my local council?
Silva Homes is a housing association and looks after all matters relating to rents, tenancies and estates issues with Silva Homes.
Bracknell Forest Council looks after matters regarding council tax, street care, lighting, sport and leisure in the borough, social services and education. The Council manages the housing waiting list and the priority banding for bidding on properties.
Please visit the Council's websites:
- Bracknell Forest Council
- Hart District Council
- Vale of White Horse District Council
- South Oxfordshire District Council
How do I apply for a garage?
Please click here for information about renting a garage, as well as a short application form.
Garages are available for rent in all areas of the borough. Please call 01344 382908 for more information. You can also find out about finishing your garage tenancy.
How do I (please call freephone 0800 692 3000 or click on the links below):
- Report a repair
- Pay rent
- Request a rent statement
- Understand my rent statement
- Report anti-social behaviour
- Rent a garage
- Find out who my income or neighbourhood officer is
- Find information for leaseholders
- Request a call back from a member of Silva Homes' staff
- Get involved in our events and services
- Report landscaping
- End the tenancy - template letter to end housing or garage tenancy
- Give a compliment, comment or make a complaint
- Find publications and literature
- Find out what's on
- Find Bracknell Forest Council
- Find Hart Council
- Find Vale of White Horse District Council
- Find South Oxfordshire District Council
- Apply for a blue badge for parking disabled parking permit
- Plan my budget (calculate your monthly bills and income)
- Dispose of waste and recycling (please click here for opening hours of Longshot Lane recycling centre)
- Request information leaflets.
I would like advice about:
- Gas safety
- Carbon Monoxide
- Reducing condensation my home
- Fire safety
- Water Safety
- Winter advice
Can I keep a pet
Please click here to find out about pet ownership.
How do I give notice to stop renting a garage?
Please give one week’s written notice to Julia Munden, Voids and Lettings Assistant, Silva Homes, Western Peninsula, Western Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RF.
The garage account must be paid up-to-date, and the garage must be emptied and locks in working order. Please call Julia Munden on 01344 382908 if you would like to discuss finishing renting your garage.
How do I register for the housing list/check my progress on the housing list?
The housing list is administered by the local council's housing options teams. Please click here for information on applying for a home.
What services do you provide for older and vulnerable people?
Silva Homes owns and manages 10 sheltered housing schemes. Please click here for more information about sheltered housing.
Where do I enquire about roads, parking and disabled parking spaces?
The council's highways department handles applications for disabled parking bays and looks after the highways. You can find out about road gritting and works and more information by clicking here (external link to the Council's website).
Can I get help if I am having difficulty paying rent?
If you are having difficulty paying your rent please contact your income management officer as soon as possible on 01344 382800. There are many support options and most problems with rent arrears can be sorted out if early action is taken. Please click here to find out who your income officer is.
When is my rent due?
Your rent is due every Monday for the week ahead. It is important that you pay your rent in full and on time. Rent can be paid online by clicking here, or you can set up a Direct Debit, which is a quick, reliable and secure way of paying rent. Please click here for a form to set up a Direct Debit.
I have lost my rent payment card, how can I get a new one?
Please call us on 01344 382800 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to order you a new one. This can take up to two weeks to come through, so please be aware that you will have to find an alternative method of paying your rent during this time. Click here for online payments or click here for a Direct Debit form.
Can I get a satellite dish installed on my property?
If you live in a house, you will most likely be able to. You should check with your Neighbourhood Services Officer on 01344 382800.
If you live in a flat, you are not allowed to get a satellite dish installed. There may already be a communal dish and you should contact your Neighbourhood Services Officer on 01344 382800. Alternatively you can contact a service provider that doesn't require a dish to be installed, for example Virgin Media.
Where can I find out more about Silva Homes?
Please click here for information about Silva Homes.
Are there useful documents or publications I can read?
Yes, and they can all be found by clicking here. It includes news releases, annual reports, customer handbooks and newsletters.
Silva Homes by numbers
- Owns and manages 6,200 tenant properties, 1,200 leasehold properties, 60 shared owner properties
- 10 sheltered schemes, 400 sheltered scheme residents
- Our money advisors help customers to receive nearly half a million pounds in benefits each year
- 10 Board members - please click here for more about us
- Eight different ways to contact us from face-to-face appointments, text, website and telephone
- More than 240 employees
- More than 6,000 visits (average) to website per month
- 91% of tenants are satisfied with services, up 16% points from the last survey in 2006
- At the time the housing transferred from the Council, Silva Homes made 161 promises. All the five years promises have been met within time and budget.
How do I apply for a home?
Local councils look after the waiting list for housing, so if you are not already registered, please contact the council to apply. Once on the housing register you can use the council's Choice Based Lettings System to view details of properties that are available and bid on them based on their need. Or, if you are an existing Silva Homes' customer you may wish to use the Homeswapper website if you are considering swapping your home. For more information about all of these options please click here.
How do I apply for an aid, adaptation or a level access shower for my property?
We may be able to carry out adaptations to your home. Please click here to find out more or please telephone Bracknell Forest Council's Social Services Community Response and Reablement Team on Bracknell 01344 351500 for an assessment. Silva Homes also has Trusted Assessors to carry out assessments for minor adaptations.
- Recycling, rubbish and waste: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Council tax: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Benefits: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Parking permits: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Blue Badge enquiries: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Bus Passes: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Environmental Health enquiries: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Pest Control enquiries: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Highways: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Registering on the housing list
- Trading standards: Bracknell / Hart / South Oxfordshire
- Guide to the cost of living in your home
Requests for information and data protection
For information about data protection and requesting information please click here.
Alternative formats and languages
We aim to provide information in a way that suits your needs. We can translate documents into many different languages or we can produce documents in Braille, large print, audio or CD formats on request. Please click here for information about Language Line. Some Silva Homes' employees can communicate in a variety of formats and languages.
If you would like any page of this website or document in another language or format, or if you require the services of an interpreter, please contact us by calling 01344 382800.
Need help or want to contact us?
Try our live chat at the bottom right of the screen to talk to our customer service team.
It's available Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm. For out of office hours enquiries, please email email@example.com.